We arrived back home on Saturday from a very long holiday break. Perhaps the most defining event of our trip occurred on Christmas night, when we lost Ramona. We had spent the day at Steve and Joy’s house, and when we returned home for the evening we found Ramona in very poor health. We rushed her to the Emergency Vet (the same one where Lola passed in November). An hour later we returned without her. It’s been well over a week, and I’m still in supreme sadness. Over time this will feel better. We’ve spent a long time looking at photos, which helps a lot. One thing that struck me was how old she looked. I hadn’t seen it while she was alive because she was always wagging that nub, even toward the end. It makes me feel a lot better that she lived a long, full life.
Other than that, the trip was a fun one. We spent a lot of time with the crazy-cute girls. We took them to the Georgia Aquarium and Leapin Lizards (a.k.a. the Jumpy Place) and watched Madagascar and Madagascar 2 a zillion times. We spent time with Margie, Ed and Bea, and Steve and Joy. We met Monkey, the new Drueke puppy. He has teeth like a piranha and looks strikingly similar to a baby Ramona which helped me get through that long week without her. We met 2010 with some of our old crazy Cuban customs which include following Walter Mercado’s horoscope recommendations (which included wearing new underwear and tying a ribbon around your waist), Tarot readings, we feasted on roast pork with rice and beans, champagne, 12 grapes at midnight and we threw a cup of water out the front door. I was happy to see the in-laws take to the traditions with such gusto. It made it a lot of fun.
On New Year's Day we went to see Mike play with the Avett Brothers at the Fox Theater. We had dinner with Lori's family before the show and spent a little time visiting with the brothers as well after the show. Betty made it through the entire concert with her adorable ear muffs. The show itself was pretty good.
It was great seeing everyone, but we were just itching like crazy to be home. We drove back on the 2nd and made it just before 9 pm. We spent the rest of the weekend lounging around doing nothing. On Sunday night I slept for twelve hours. It was needed.
Today I’m back at work, and I’m trying to get back to reality. I hope everyone had a nice holiday season and that 2010 is a good year for us all.
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm still in shock about Ramona, and every day since y'all told us, there's been a moment when I just thought that she's no longer with us...:(
We also are still sad about Ramona. The good news is that she was happy to the end. Nub-wagging, playing with the puppy that looked just like her...Now she's helping Motor and Lola work through their respective neuroses in doggy heaven.
Post a Comment