Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Jake

By now most of you know that Jake went to doggie heaven a week ago today.  Long story short, he had a pulmonary edema and really only suffered for a day or two.  We feel very fortunate that he went quickly and that we didn't have to make the painful decision to put him down. He died in Chris' arms, his human soul mate.  The house and family feels his void, but as time moves on I know things will start to feel better.

We don't know where Jake came from.  He snuck into our backyard one day and stuck around.  He didn't like humans much in the beginning, and we often thought that perhaps his previous owners were abusive.  Eventually he let us near him to pet him, hug him and love him.  He wasn't much for company on most days and didn't really like men.  When I met Chris, he instantly fell for Ramona (because she wouldn't have it any other way) but wanted to know more about the dog who lived in the corner.  I told him not to take it personally, that he just didn't like guys.  Boy, was I wrong.  Jake instantly bonded with Chris, and that bond would be strong as ever until the end. 

When Ramona died, Jake took on a different personality.  We immediately began walking him daily (he was horrible on a walk) and brought his weight down to normal.  He became somewhat attached to us (sometimes exhibiting separation anxiety).  He began warming up to most people, including men, and even  came out to socialize when we had company.  Most people knew that it was special if Jake liked you, because he was so discerning.  We eventually got Veronica so that he wouldn't be alone.  He hated her instantly.   In his defense, she was really annoying.  After a few weeks, I noticed that she forced her way into his life and caught them snuggling more and more frequently.  She never quite got to canine-soulmate status like Ramona, but I know he still loved her. 

I know that death is part of life, and that Jake needed to leave this world so that he wouldn't have to suffer.  I also know that Jake was one of the best things that has happened to us.  We will love him forever...that fat little one-ear-up-one-ear-down, cat-hating champion.  LOVE HIM!

2 comments:

LMP said...

Loving pets is so often about loss. In this case, I must agree that it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. Safe journey, Jake! I will miss those mismatched ears so much.

Aunt So-So said...

Thanks Lisa. We'll also miss Max. I hope she and Jake don't cross paths in doggie/kitty heaven. But if they do, I hope she f's him up good...or maybe they'll actually get along.