Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spring Break! WHOOO!

Friday: After work I came home and the weather was just right to enjoy a beer on the deck with Chris. There was just one problem: We didn't have any fire wood. The crappy logs that we had lying around weren't cutting the mustard.
So Chris grabbed his axe and started messing up a little tree in the backyard.
My little lumberjack took care of business.

Got the fire started. Yes! Just in time to wrap it up and go to bed.

Saturday: We had planned on taking a quick respite to the DC area to get away from home, work school, dogs, etc.
Here we are in front of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial. Chris had never been, and I hadn't been since high school. I was too bratty to care about a stupid monument of George Jefferson...I mean...whatever. Green Day Rules!

This is our view of the dang thing from our parking space. It makes you want to punch a tree. Frigging beautiful.

Here's Chris inside the monument. TJ is friggin HUGE.

Ever the good engineering student, Chris is making sure everything is up to code. He would hate to close the place down.

We found the FDR memorial. I had no idea this place existed. Judging by the shininess of FDR's finger, I decided that the popular thing to do was pull his finger. I opted to take the classier route and pose with his dog. Next time.

Here's Chris in line for food.

I joined a depressed couple. It was depressing.

This is nothing. After we left the mall, we went to the actual mall at Crystal City, where we got a few things. Then we went to Tyson's Corner to eat dinner at Gordon Biersch, our favorite chain. It's a tradition.

Sunday: We got up early and got our free continental breakfast and drove around the city for a little while. We decided to go to the American History Museum. It was under renovation last year so we thought we'd check out the new exhibits.

Here's Chis Colbert. Nice. We were a little disappointed with the new displays. They removed some really cool stuff. One thing that blew us away was the new Lincoln exhibit. Totally worth the trip, but also completely crowded.

After the museum we attempted to go to Ben's Chili Bowl, a popular tourist restaurant. It was packed, so we kept going. On our way out of town we saw this awesome Obama t-shirt. I would have purchased one for Christopher (who kindly watched our mutts) but...I have no excuse.

Here is Marine One. We are pretty sure that Mr. President was inside both times we saw it today. Perhaps he was going to pick up his dry cleaning for the week. It is Sunday, afterall.
We also decided to visit Mt. Vernon on the way home. We didn't take any pictures because we didn't actually pay to take the tour. We didn't pay for anything except food and the crap we bought in the shopping mall. We did have a great lunch at Mt. Vernon. We'll come back real soon.

3 comments:

sunglasseshurtmynose said...

Thank you to Christopher Aubin for watching the stupids!

jdrueke said...

I'm glad you went to see the TJ Memorial. I love that's so far removed for everything else. Well worth the added treck.

LMP said...

I'm a little jealous you're so close to DC. I love that place. All the free activities! AND you got a continental breakfast. That's so awesome.

Also awesome - my WV today is "butwafi".