Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sonya won't blog, so I must.


We have a tradition of doing some sort of minor remodel every year. This year we have finally decided to reface the kitchen cabinets. We had already had two estimates done, so on a whim we dropped in to Home Depot to set up a third. The third time was a charm, for the quality of work was superior to the other two and the price was $2000 less the previous low. We finally feel confident that the refacing job will be cheaper than new cabinets. We shot ourselves in the feet when we had the counter tops installed because it's virtually impossible to get new cabinets when you already have granite counter tops. Refacing also feels less wasteful because there is simply nothing structurally wrong with our old cabinets. Also, I feel confident that we are in the halfway point between the style-acceptability of oak. Oak is ten years outdated; therefor, it will be ten years before it is cool again. Also, I'm sick of painting the kitchen to try to find a wall color that will tie the cabinets with the granite.
We have installed-book/entertainment-shelves on either side of the fireplace that will also need some update, but we feel more confident that we can handle that project on our own. Sonya has a plan the fly her dad up to do the work because he has experience in such projects. Personally, I think we'll take any excuse we can get to get Pipo up here.
The first project I have in mind when I'm employed as an engineer ...workshop!We have room in the backyard.

1 comment:

LMP said...

Is that my shed?