Monday, July 20, 2009

Getting My Groove Back?

The past few weeks have been a blur. It came to my attention this morning that we are more than half way through July. Where has the time gone? I think I have some explanations. Brace yourself, because I’m feeling like I have some nonsense to talk.

First week of July, the Mason School of Business moved from Tyler Hall, Blow Hall and Governor Berkeley to Miller Hall. It is a grotesquely huge building. I can’t tell if I’m offended by its enormity, but nonetheless my quality of life here at work has improved tenfold. You can’t tell because it is impossible to capture the awesomeness of my workspace in picture, but I have three mid-thigh-to-ceiling windows that look out onto Jamestown Road. This is a remarkable change from the prison cell that was my office. The only thing that I have to contend with here now is audio space. I’ve learned to silence my cell phone and only take work-related calls at my desk. I’ve become a wiz at texting. I run a fan for white noise and sometimes play “A Jaunt to Hawaii” on my iPod, a track that sounds like waves crashing on the beach with the occasional seagull. Sometimes it makes me have to pee, but that’s the price you pay for sanity.

Last week I had to break up with my personal trainer for schedule and financial reasons, something that I’ve avoided for quite some time. We just purchased a new car and have to replace our front porch; the break-up seemed like a responsible step. Since then I’ve gone into a little bit of a mourning period. Chris decided that we need to keep active, so we are riding our bikes almost every day. We try to ride for at least 30 minutes. Last Saturday we rode from home to the Chickahominy bridge which took about an hour. Yesterday we rode to Jamestowne Island, which took around the same time. During the week we stick to the trail or kind of mosey around the neighborhoods. The only problem that we’re facing is the bugs at night. I’ve learned that if you wear a hat (we don’t have helmets yet) and keep your mouth closed at all times you’ll survive without incident. Chewing gum helps too. Another key to keeping fit without a trainer is eating well. Chris and I decided that since we’re so active now, we needed to eat Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream for dessert and banana bread for breakfast. I like the way we think. We’ll see how long this lasts. Maybe when none of my pants fit me anymore we’ll rethink this junk food for exercise strategy.

Also, I realized that I’ve been wearing socks and shoes every day to work instead of my cute sandals, which has been a drag. The reason? I’ve been neglecting my toes. I’ve been thinking about a pedicure for weeks but somehow I haven’t had the time. Also, while the Miami Druekes were in town, I cashed out my favorite nail color. This weekend I replaced it with a new color, which is really cute, like tropical punch and did my own at-home pedicure. (It’s amazing how much happier I am when my toenails are painted!) I figure I only have about a month and a half left to display my cute little piggies because come fall, I’m going to be rocking my new black leather booties with a square point. This new building inspires sharp-dressing, and this fashionista want to play! So…about that job…

4 comments:

sunglasseshurtmynose said...

Yeah, a post! Today we bike to...

Topher said...

When I get back from my conference, we can all go for a ride :)

LMP said...

OH how I wish I could pack my bike onto the plane and ride with you guys in Williamsburg when we get there! Instead, I will happily eat ice cream and go get a pedicure with you...

Aunt So-So said...

Sounds like a plan!!!