Monday, August 10, 2009

Highlights and non-sequiturs

Last Tuesday Chris took his Nasa flight. I was a nervous wreck, but he landed safely. I got notice that I could see his plane flying over College Creek at around 12:30. This was great because that’s where I go sometimes to eat my lunch. Christopher and I got together and drove out there and sat in the car eating our lunches while the landscapers mowed and blew debris in the car. We saw a Cessna two or three times and a helicopter twice. I came to find out later on that Chris never even took off until after 2:00, so we were waving at strangers the whole time. Oh well. It wasn’t a total waste because we got to catch about 15 minutes of the Thomas Jefferson hour. Clay Jenkinson is a staple of my Tuesday lunch. His voice is very soothing.


This past weekend we took a five-hour drive to Charlotte to see Mike play with the Avett Brothers at the Bojangles Coliseum. It is always great to see Mike. We have a lot of fun reminiscing about Kendall. The most remarkable part of the trip was actual concert. I had never seen the Avett Brothers before, and I was thoroughly impressed with their performance. I’m a new fan.


We got to talking with Seth (an Avett Brother), and it turns out that his wife is from Williamsburg. We got on the topic of Pierce’s, which we all agreed was our fave in Williamsburg, and he mentioned that his favorite BBQ place in NC was Lexington Barbecue. Chris and I got the address to Lexington Barbecue and arrived at lunch time, only to find that they are closed on Sundays. We were disappointed, but didn’t give up completely. Our Garmin navigator told us about another place named John Wayne’s Barbecue, just minutes away. It looked really cool from the outside. We sat down for lunch and immediately fell in love. It was a true slice of Americana, straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting. The food was sloppy and not nearly as good as the barbecue I’m used to, but the trip was made worth it when a cute, unassuming late-teenaged girl was on her way out with her boyfriend. Apparently everyone knows everyone in Lexington. As the girl approached the front of the restaurant, she was stopped by the main waitress and was asked, “Megan! What are you wearing!?” The girl said, “It’s a dress”. The waitress said, “Everyone can see your butt.” In reality, it wasn’t that short. It was just gathered a few inches below her butt. But Megan was young. She could pull it off. The waitress demanded to know where she was going dressed like that. The girl responded, “To church. And I wore it out last night too.” The waitress rebutted with, “You went to church dressed in that dress?! You better go again!” The room erupted in giggles. Chris and I were in stitches, but I felt embarrassed for the poor girl. After she made her exit, the waitress went to a table and said to the man, “Can you believe that Megan went to church in that dress?” and the man said, “It must be a non-denominational church”.


Dad is coming on Thursday. I have this strange feeling like I need to clean my room and finish my homework. He’s going to be here for 5 whole days. I hope we have enough to do. We’re thinking about a day trip or a home renovation project. Either way I need to stock up on wine.

7 comments:

sunglasseshurtmynose said...

Barbecue wasn't that good, but it was a real bargain. $3.50 for what felt like a pound of pork. My stomach still hurts, though.

LMP said...

I want a Garmin.

Aunt So-So said...

I LOVE our Garmin. It was our Cyber Monday Christmas gift to ourselves. I don't know how we ever road tripped without it. Oh, and he has an Australian accent. <3

LMP said...

Jeremiah's co-worker lent us hers when we went to Tybee and it was (up an octave) AWESOME. I spent the trip home thinking of way to make off with the thing.

sunglasseshurtmynose said...

"In 3 miles, take right on Memorial Doctor." Why would Garmin assume DR is doctor? That is just stupid.

Aunt So-So said...

Your mom's navigator pronounced St. Andrews "Street Andrew" instead of "Saint Andrew". That one is pretty stupid as well.

jdrueke said...

You should take us ti Pierce's when we visit.

WV: munconi

I ate at Olive Garden and it gave me munconi.