Monday, March 29, 2010

Another busy weekend

Friday night I convinced Chris to take me out to dinner and a movie even though Chris hates going to the movies and we are both exhausted Fridays. I have to remind myself that Chris commutes two hours every day, five days a week, 10 hours total. I commute 30 minutes 5 days a week, two and a half hours a week. No matter how tired I am, he is way more tired. I did a school day with him once and I was wiped out dirty style. Anyway, I was able to sneak in a 30 minute nap before he got home, and I decided that I wanted Pad Thai and Hot Tub Time Machine. Chris is a champ, so off we went. We got to New Town and saw that the movie plays only twice, at 7:15 and at 9:45. We looked at our cell phones. 7:25. Rats. We decided that a movie wasn't going to happen. Besides, we needed to buy milk afterward and nothing would be open after the movie. So our date night consisted of dinner at Ichiban and groceries at Bloom.

Saturday was a goregeous day, and I spent a great deal of the day doing my Sunday errands (see why later) while Chris pounded away at his equation sheet. We were just about to head down to Newport News to run more errands when we got news from Margie that one of her cats needed to go to the pet Emergency (or Emergen-C if you're Sarah). We, being calm in the face of crisis, took Margie and Schmooy to the vet. In Newport News. Where I needed to go anyway. We spent some time reading magazines and watching Animal Planet and just in time for all the good stores to close, Schmooy was released. We grabbed the cat, paid the bill, tried to pry Margie from other peoples' cats and children and raced to Target to try to find the throw pillow I was interested in. It was too big and hard so I left it behind. Then Margie treated us to a very late dinner at the Silver Diner where we committed major gluttony and hogged the jukebox while the cat stayed in the car with the window cracked. I kept looking at the car just in case he broke out and stole the car, chasing after a bird or somthing stupid a cat would do. He was fine. He was just happy to be out on the town on a Saturday night. All of the other cats were pissed when he got back home.

Sunday was the grand opening of my day care for VCU Engineering students' toddlers between the ages of 2 and 3. With such strict guidelines this allows for only 2 kids at a time. Baby steps. Luckily I called for reinforocements early and convinced Margie (aka the Baby whisperer) to help out and bring crayons. Even more luckily the other baby's mom, Carey came along. So that's 3 adults and 2 kids. I didn't even have to be there, but it was fun. It was Carey's birthday, and she is 8 1/2 months' pregnant, so it was extra special. She only has like 3 more weeks to go, so every movement made me a little nervous. I didn't want any of that water goo breaking out on my new rug. But seriously, we got pizza, the kids watched those ridiculous Barbie movies and the Disney one too with the Princess and the Frog. I think it's called the Princess and the Frog. We colored, we picked flowers, we even watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall while the kids napped. It was fun, and after all was said and done, the students got their studying done and the partners got their visit on. Even after everyone left, Chris still had more work to do, so I cleaned up and we were in bed by 11 pm. And now we're back to Monday.

No comments: