Monday, April 14, 2008

A World of Excess

We had an amazing weekend. First of all, I’m ailing from all the delicious food we’ve consumed. This eating contest began on Friday, when I decided that it was time to use the $15 gift certificate from the Olive Garden. Chris and I aren’t really fans, but we are fans of free food. Shockingly, we were able to find an exceptionally inoffensive plate of mushroom ravioli, and for dessert, we had Andes mints (a personal favorite). When I told the waitress that I love them, she came back with an armful. YES! That’s one more dollar for you, young Lassie!

Chris had been given a gift certificate to Le Yaca, a French restaurant that we’ve heard a lot of good things about, but never got around to going – the price list is staggering. We opted to go for dinner on Friday and we ate well – I ordered salmon and Chris got the Faux NY Strip, which was really veal, and it was really tasty. For dessert, we ordered an artery-clogging soufflé, which was to die for. I feel especially terrible that when we got home we finished off the ice cream cake that was left over from the party while we watched The Soup.

Needless to say, I was feeling a little under the weather from the excess on Saturday, so we took it easy and got whoppers from BK. We were a little late picking up Christopher and Corbett for our dinner date with Trey and Missy. We drove up to Gloucester to see their new property, then up to Christ Church in Irvington to visit Grandma & Grandpa Lindgrove. It’s a very scenic drive, and the flowering trees are spectacular this time of year. We also visited Uncle Spanky & Aunt Sandy’s new shop in downtown Kilmarnock – lots of pretty things, but out of our price range. I have to really suck up this year so that I can get one of (Chris’ cousin) Jennifer’s hand-made necklaces. Holy cow! We had about an hour and a half until our 7:30 dinner reservations, so we stopped at a Mexican restaurant for margaritas and chips. We got a little sloppy and full, just in time for our dinner at Eckhard’s. We were seated and received glares from all of the proper and elderly patrons in suits and dresses. Apparently nobody’s ever gotten tipsy and loud before dinner. Perhaps it was the gay couple in jeans? Eh, who cares? We kept eating, drinking and laughing. It was never-ending. And after dinner we ended up at the Yorktown Pub. We had beer for dessert. It felt like an after-prom party. We ended up on the beach, the ladies barefoot in the sand, men carrying our shoes. Oh, what a night.


Sunday Chris and I recovered from the previous night’s fête and got ready to meet up with some out-of-town friends and co-workers at the Blue Talon. At this point I couldn’t even look at a menu. The thought of food was revolting. I ordered a ginger ale and a burger. It was just the thing to settle my queasy stomach. Did I mention that this Bistro Burger had a fried egg in it? At the end of dinner, Kenny proposed a jaunt to Rita’s for old time’s sake. They have the BEST custard! It was raining and cold, so we politely declined. What? Was that “No” to Rita’s?! We had to refuse. I’m running out of jeans that fit. I do believe it’s going to take no time to get back to chicken and broccoli with jello for dessert. I'd like to add that this is not a complaint in the least - I feel very fortunate to a have great food around and great friends to share it with. Oink, oink!

2 comments:

LMP said...

I didn't know Sandy and Spanky had a shop. Nor did I know that Jennifer makes necklaces. They should really keep a blog. For my sake.

Aunt So-So said...

Their shop is new - I'm not even sure they've had a grand opening. They are co-owners with another man. Jennifer's necklaces are really awesome! I know, it's hard to keep up.