
What I’ve been thinking about all week is how uncool I’ve become in my old age, perhaps from hanging out with Chris. We were cool once, (he was VERY cool). Last weekend we purchased the John Adams (HBO miniseries). This was exciting because much of it was filmed nearby. I submitted a headshot for background, but alas they never contacted me. Apparently they didn’t have many Cuban Americans in the colonies at the time. They don’t know what they were missing. We haven’t finished but two episodes, and we’re really into it. Chris and I keep going back and forth while pausing scenes making our own commentaries. Sometimes it’s to discuss a particular event, and sometimes we just need to remark about how lovely Laura Linney is. I have a hard time believing that John Adams came up with all of the great ideas on his own. I find Benjamin Franklin to be irritating as can be. I would have detested him if I had to spend any time with him. I am irritated at how soft-spoken Thomas Jefferson and George Washington are portrayed to be. Chris keeps telling me that they became better speakers over time, and he’s the Ken Burns devotee so I must take his word. I just find some of these things irksome, but entertaining nonetheless. (NERD!)
I am a huge Jefferson fan (sans the whole slavery thing). He was the brainchild of the sunken gardens outside my window at work. This serves as a gorgeous view on most days. Last Friday I had to attend a meeting across campus and as I strolled passed it, notebook in hand, shaded under the canopy, I thought what a great gesture. If it weren’t for him, I wouldn’t be admiring this view being saved by the near hundred degree weather. Next week we’ll be visiting his home again. It’s the most beautiful landscape I’ve seen. Good work, slaves! Notably, in a 1776 census, Jefferson included his 117 slaves as the "Number of souls in my family..."

Perhaps this will raise me some cool points: I got hooked on Mad Men. I must finish the last four episodes before season two starts. I need my fix of smoking, drunk driving, drunk working, office affairs/pregnancies and Cary Grant look-alikes. Not sure when, though. I’ve got parties to attend. Wait! Maybe we really are cool!

3 comments:
Its better to be a nerd than a thirty-something still trying to be cool. TJ, here we come!!!
omg-i love mad men too! i just started watching the first season last week on OnDemand...can't wait to finish the season so i can catch up to this one...not sure i'd be diggin the jefferson stuff as much. maybe i ust have to be there ;-) ha.
I think it's important to know that great men sometimes do awful things. To understand that someone can be heroic or a leader of men without being perfect makes it worth setting goals and working toward them...
And I love Monticello. Have fun!
Post a Comment