The other day Chris and I were doing some grocery shopping when we happened upon a product that we both considered to be disgusting. Then it dawned on me that this item holds a special place in my childhood memory, and while at the time, it was stressful, it now brings a smile to my face. The story is my mother had acquired a lot of these frozen fish fillets with cheese in them. We had so many of them that we ate them quite frequently. In the beginning, we sort of tolerated them, but Alex loved them. Then we all grew very sick of them. So sick, that they made us gag at the very sight or smell of them. Because children were starving in Africa (cue "We Are the World"), we were forced to eat our [revolting] dinner. One evening, we were sitting at the table facing our gross cheesy fish, most likely whining, when Alex announced that he was going to be sick...for REAL this time. My mom had had enough of our shenanigans. She got up from the table and begrudgingly excused Alex from dinner. My next memory was Alex making a mad dash from the table, but he didn’t make it to the bathroom. He got sick all over her open briefcase with paperwork exposed, and that was the last time we were served fish fillets with cheese. It’s been over 20 years since I’ve even seen one, and I still gag a little at the thought of them, except now I laugh.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
The Reflex
The other day Chris and I were doing some grocery shopping when we happened upon a product that we both considered to be disgusting. Then it dawned on me that this item holds a special place in my childhood memory, and while at the time, it was stressful, it now brings a smile to my face. The story is my mother had acquired a lot of these frozen fish fillets with cheese in them. We had so many of them that we ate them quite frequently. In the beginning, we sort of tolerated them, but Alex loved them. Then we all grew very sick of them. So sick, that they made us gag at the very sight or smell of them. Because children were starving in Africa (cue "We Are the World"), we were forced to eat our [revolting] dinner. One evening, we were sitting at the table facing our gross cheesy fish, most likely whining, when Alex announced that he was going to be sick...for REAL this time. My mom had had enough of our shenanigans. She got up from the table and begrudgingly excused Alex from dinner. My next memory was Alex making a mad dash from the table, but he didn’t make it to the bathroom. He got sick all over her open briefcase with paperwork exposed, and that was the last time we were served fish fillets with cheese. It’s been over 20 years since I’ve even seen one, and I still gag a little at the thought of them, except now I laugh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
LOL!!!!
mmmm, government cheese fish sticks. Mommy, can I have just one more?!
That'll teach your mom to leave her briefcase lying around, open!
Kind of reminds me of the industrial size boxes of chicken fillets and tenders dad would bring home. Oh thank you Burger King perks! I'm still storing a box of veal patties in my bomb shelter. Taste the abuse!
Post a Comment