Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Long and Winding Weekend

We finally got a break from the hideous temperatures and were enjoying weather in the high 80's beginning Wednesday. We took a fun albeit short respite in Woodstock, VA to visit the Atlanta Druekes on the eve of Princess Kate’s fourth birthday. We did a lot of hugging, laughing, eating, walking, beer-drinking, and kid-doting. Lisa took us into town where we got malts, and a nice tour of Woodstock, which was pretty darn awesome. (However, pushing a stroller with a kid in it up and down mountain hills with flip flops and short stroller handles sucks!) Later on we took a scenic drive to dinner and even had a magician visit our table to wow the kids and creep out the adults. By the way, Woodstock is gorgeous. The view from the Provost's front yard is what Chris and I would call stupid – we use this word when a word such as “amazing”, “breath-taking” or “miraculous” just won’t suffice and if we were to use such a word, it would sound the same as though we used the word “good”. That being said, we had a stupid time and are very much looking forward to the next visit.

Saturday I bombed the GMAT. I scored about 100 points below my desired score. Apparently you can’t cram the night before for this type of exam. I bought the Official GMAT Study Guide about eight months ago, and peeled the plastic off of it maybe a month ago, and carried it around with me everywhere I went during that time. I didn’t actually attempt to work any of the problems out until Thursday afternoon. The test was very long and dare I say, boring. I got my score immediately and sat in the car fighting back tears, wondering if I was really stupid (literally) for being so unprepared. I went online when I got home to find out what my score meant overall, and apparently I am very, very average. I scored right in the middle of where two-thirds of the population scores. See that mom? Aren’t you proud of me? I’m not retarded after all...although Joey would beg to differ.

Sunday was Father’s Day, so I began by calling mine. It is difficult being away from family during these holidays when all you can think of is what everyone is doing back at home and how you should be there. I wanted to be there. Instead, I very sadly spent Sunday cleaning, sewing and watching/listening to old editions of Meet the Press (I also saw the very poignant tribute to Russert) while Chris was making out with his math problems in the other room. These episodes were really awesome to watch, because so much time has passed since they aired, and its funny to see how much has changed since then. This reminded me that when Tim Russert’s book The Wisdom of our Fathers was released, I snatched up my copy immediately, as a gift for my pops. When I was getting ready to wrap it, I decided that I really wanted to read if first, then I’d send it off to him, but I thought it would be tacky to send him a book that I’d already read…but I also didn’t want to buy two copies. In addition, I really wanted to read Big Russ and Me first. So there it sat in the gift closet for over two years. Sunday I took it out, thinking of both my own dad and Mr. Russert, and I’m carrying it around with me everywhere I go. It's been two days and I still haven't opened it. Shame on me.

3 comments:

jdrueke said...

Is the little boy with his eye closed in the background of the family shot Joey?

Oh, it was awesome getting to visit with you and Chris. Thanks again for making the long trek up to Woodstock!

sunglasseshurtmynose said...

Joey is the boy in the blue shirt sitting in front of Commander Chekhov. Sonya is the one knee-boarding nowhere, and Alex is the one staring into the sun.

LMP said...

A word about standardized tests - they measure only your ability to take that sort of test on the exact day and moment it was administered. Think of the GMAT as a survey from the test question writers to help them figure out how well they did their jobs. Nothing more.

Now then, it was wonderful to see you guys, I'm so glad you came up!